Todays post is a little longer and a lot more in-depth. Today we will look at setting up a URL shortening service with CodeIgniter similar to bit.ly etc. Yes there is 100s already out there, this is just to see how easy it is in CodeIgniter. You can create this service in minutes without breaking a sweat.
Continue reading “Building a URL Shortener from Scratch Using CodeIgniter”
This is my own opinion of the keys to give you a leg up when creating a new PHP/MySQL site:
- Apple Mac – Go to Web Directions and it is clear web developers prefer Macs for many reasons (costs vary)
- MAMP Pro – So so good, so easy to use and create local hosts on the local in various locations across your Mac ($US59)
- Coda – The best IDE / text-editor for Mac – the all in one window is amazing ($US99)
- CodeIgniter – Easy to learn and very fast to develop with PHP framework (free)
- CodeIgniter Coda Mode – Code hinting for CodeIgniter within Coda (free)
- Twitter BootStrap – Basic front end layout (free)
- Font Awesome – Font vector images for Twitter BootStrap (free)
- Litmus – Get quick screenshots of your sites (from $US49 p/month)
- VirtualBox and Windows IE Testing VMs – Microsoft allows you to download VMs to test your site in different versions of IE (free)
- Sequel Pro – Awesome database GUI (free)
And a bonus is the amazing Google Apps
– GMail, Google Docs, Google Analytics, Google Web Master Tools, Google Maps…(free for low volume usage)
With these tools you can get started on your next site in hours.